beast hath made us, beast hath not
A masque for four voices
Don’t tread on you? Entity. Of the expansive accumulative. Society. Inalienable? Dsynchronous. Siempre. Torn up and tearing. Sacred and profane. Silly and sublime. Ascendant. Techne. Of what’s oppositional, of what’s not. Of what’s recuperative, of what’s not. Walking tall. Life and death. Power and grace. Alienable Dividuals. Entities. Seek a freedom in, not from. Alienable Dividual. Sees the diff, bears the brunt, speaks the sum. A sliver of your own self, striving. Siempre.
(1) Very Lilliputian
(1) Somewhat impish
(2) Kind of frumpish
(3) A bit schmaltzy
(4) Very hammy
(1) Formal in comportment
(3) Rounded in interests
(4) Interested in roundness
(4) Body-Body centric
(1) Slap happy
(3) A real scroller
(2) A real pointer
(1) A real clicker
(4) A real selector
(4) I was very disappointed by the doping up of red-hot scientific phenomenon into a consumerist cocktail
(2) Repixilating an image of reality by way of titanium pellet manufacture and promo
(4) Synchronizing connections with entities very similar to its own
(2) Feeling deep that what is to be known…is to be known
(4) Very Lilliputian
(1) Circumscribing a zone of action for itself
(2) Designating specific entry-points for others
(3) Truly steroidal eager pregnant with evocative jettisonings of—
(4) A bit-bonding global demand for—
(1) What about “Rise Brazil!” (in quotes like that)…sans affable you
(4) What about “Rise South Africa!” (in quotes like that)…sans affable you
(2) What about “Rise India!” (in quotes like that)…sans affable you
(3) What about “Rise Azerbaijan!” (in quotes like that)…sans affable you
(4) Sans affable me
(3) Sans miserly me
(2) Sans miserable me
(1) Sans miserly miserable pivotal me
(1) A defoliated palm at the end of the Empire
(2) A coconut falls, rolls, and settles on the beach
(3) A coconut is cut-out and replaced with a cannonball
(4) Cannonball coconut chocolate covered cream
(3) Man, this sans affable me thing’s the thing!
(1) Thing about the thing is—
(3) How will I ever find my way back to Kansas?
(4) By way of Bombay of course
(1) On a horse on the pampas of Argentina
(2) Put out to pasture: knowledge, skill, experience
(1) An entire nation cut-out and replaced with a less productive animal
(3) Are you that horse?
(2) A horse cut-out and replaced with a less porous national border
(4) Are you that donkey?
(1) I was—am about ready to get—not only very FRIGHTENED
(3) I’ve hear that one before
(2) Me too
(4) Me too
(1) But very disappointed by the lack of any stated counter-capitalistic
(4) As how to get from Mendoza to Walla Walla
(3) By way of Marx to Marti
(2) Am I that mule?
(3) People getting what they want how they want when they want it
(2) People getting fumbly stumbly crazy with it
(4) People getting stuck there
(1) People getting theoretical about it too
(2) Like in ancient Egypt?
(4) Like the near complete opposite!
(4) At the core of the Empire is an authentic voice that sounds like a controlling sleazy son of a—
(3) You mean dragonfly?
(1) By entomologist’s projection only
(2) Light-headed, I’m getting light-headed
(3) Subventing more like
(2) When is this thing gonna get selectively violent toward
(1) The more arch-romantic the better by god!
(2) The more textured the proclamation the healthier the tendons
(3) The more exposed the curve of the neck the less modernistic?
(4) The more entrenched the relativism the more institutional uptake?
(1) To repetition!
(4) To variation!
(3) What else?
(1) I am very heartened by the extension of architectural thought into poetic discourse
(4) I am very heartened by the extension of computer speak into poetic discourse
(2) I am very heartened by the extension of bio-tech talk into poetic discourse
(3) I am very heartened by the extension of neo-pop art think into poetic discourse
(2) I am not so thrilled-to-the-bone walking through downtown Paterson
(3) I am not so thrilled-to-the-bone with my index finger locking up
(4) I am not so thrilled-to-the-bone with those mickies making you such the dragonfly
(1) I am not so thrilled-to-the-bone by that text’s play-by-play
(1) I suppose…I am rather burdened…by the premature truncation of poetic discourse unto social discourse in general
(3) I’ve heard that one before
(2) Me too
(4) Me too
(4) At the edge of the Empire is a synthetic voice that sounds like a recorded loop with emotional highlighting tweaked-in later
(3) You mean you
(2) By copping, only me
(1) Jittery, I’m getting jittery
(2) Very Lillitputian
(1) What about “put the big shinola on the high priest of English syntax” (in quotes like that)…sans (in brackets) [integral] you
(3) What about “shit on a cracker realism, express line 1” (in quotes like that)…sans (in brackets) [integral] you
(2) What about “shamanistic shalackings, transnational” (in quotes like that)…sans (in brackets) [integral] you
(4) What about “shell-game avantist cultural market slice” (in quotes like that)…sans (in brackets) [integral] you
(4) On the line I’m putting it
(2) A bit above it I am hovering
(1) A bit below it—me—sly (maybe)
(1) A refurbished laptop in a crate in the Indian Ocean
(2) A wave-swell five stories high approaching
(3) A decision to bare leeward 45 degrees
(4) A good decision, in the end, MS Word working well enough on 500 MHz / 64MB Ram, 120 U.S. dollars + no charge (ground-rate) shipping
(2) Your weapon of choice…U.S. dollars?
(3) Avec me
(1) Avec ministerial me
(4) Avec ministerial beaucoup flappable me
(3) Bold conception that of Marti’s—why not refurbish it?
(1) Bold conception that of DuBois’—why not ship it?
(4) Bold conception that of Sub-Commandante’s—why not wholesale it?
(2) Bold conception that of Chavez—why not retail it?
(4) We’ve got two pots brewing in the back…
(3) One of them’s good for you…
(2) One of them’s not…
(1) We’ll decide which one you get…
(1-4) WHEN YOU GET HERE!
(2) Very Lilliputian
(1) I am not a little discomfited by the employment of such overtly finance capitalist lexicons subventing a class antagonistic conceptual work of art
(4) Scrolling—for which it pans for values
(2) Pointing—for which it recognizes antagonism
(3) Clicking—for which it relieves momentary tension
(4) Selecting is predicated on social psychologies that are themselves predicated on recognized values in contention?
(2) Very Lillipution
(3) People giving what they give when they give how they give it
(2) People giving all they’ve got—zip
(4) People sucking wind—in sensuous postures
(1) People trying to get centered in every possible way
(2) A deranged donkey in Dhahran, discoing
(3) A sullen mule in America, meditating
(4) A horse on the pampas of Argentina, nostrils flaring
(1) Glue Factory Press publishes works of exceptional quality, works that
“explore” “spaces” “between” “spaces” “between” “spaces”
(2) The more affectatious the text the less
(1) The less intrepid the lexicon the more
(3) The more indulgent the audience the less
(4) The less animalistic the actor the more
(4) What else?
(4) Man, maybe we should just learn Arabic, sans all this
(1) Man, maybe we should just pick wild crabapples, and call it a day
(3) Man, maybe we should just start a small pottery business
(2) Man, maybe we should just accrue a sense of generic indignation and see what happens
(1) When the wall fell
(2) Oh boy, here we go!
(3) When the wall fell
(4) You had an epiphany about your own repression, but not anyone else’s?
(1) What also fell was the sense of a grand project gone awry
(2) “Awry” molted into Absolutist Rejectionism
(3) Which molted into Absolutist Affirmation of its opposite
(4) An invisible, ubiquitous wall, a suck-bot, bit-bonding global demand for—
(3) Cope, I feel I should just cope
(2) Is that the byword of the Modern American Worker?
(4) Seize the towers of Law! Custom! Manners!
(1) Off with thine baby faces of ecstasy, sans death, waving its sickle
(4) In the basement of the Empire is a two-year old who’ll grow up to denounce her keeper’s accomodationism
(3) Is this what they call realpolitik?
(1) Wabbit hunting season!
(2) Wabbit, the unduck
(1) I scrimp
(2) You scrimp
(3) We all scrimp
(4) For less managerial consciousness in poetic discourse
End of Part 1
Toscano and other poets will be performing “Truax Inimical (parts 1-3)” at the Bowery Poetry Club on Saturday, March 25th at 4:00 pm.
Rodrigo Toscano's newest book is Collapsible Poetics Theater.